Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Old School

In February Greg and I took a class at Calvary Temple's Global Bible Institute in Modesto. The class was Old Testament Survey. Exciting, huh? But it was!
This class takes you through the whole Old Testament in 5-6 weeks. We audited the class, so we didn't have to do assignments or take tests, but boy did I take notes. I have 16 pages of yellow pad notes.

The thing I loved most and learned for the first time, was how Christ was revealed throughout the old testament. I had never thought before that the Old Testament was the Bible Christ used on the earth. Logical, but I never thought about that!

For example, when looking at Proverbs, Christ i the wisdom we're to live according to. In Ecclesiastes, we have emptiness without a relationship with Christ. In Exodus it talks about the High Priest which foreshadows Christ.

Here's an even cooler example. In Leviticus it talks about the Christ of Leviticus in the 5 offerings: 1. Burnt- Total offering in submission to the Father's will.
2. Meat - Sinless nature.
3. Peace - Fellowship with God through Christ on the cross.
4. Sin - Guiltbearer
5. Trespass - Christ's payment for the damage of sin.

In Numbers, Christ is revealed through the brass serpent on a pole - as Christ is lifted up and seen, people are healed (saved).

In Ruth, Christ is the kinsman redeemer. Boaz resembles Christ, Ruth resembles the church.

In 1 Samuel David was born in Bethlehem, was a shepherd and king.

I so enjoyed seeing the OT in a new light. Now when I read it, it's not just something that happened a long time ago. I no longer put more weight into the NT than the OT. You have to dig a little deeper, but the treasures are amazing!

Have a great day!

No comments: