Friday, December 11, 2009

You See Bones, I See an Army (cont,)

Now on to Chapter 3 by Floyd McClung.

Paul patiently waited to appoint leaders in the churches he started until they had time to grow and find their way.  Sometimes he left them to develop on their own, encouraging them to build on the values, truths, and passions he imparted to them while he was with them.  He trusted the Holy Spirit in them to guide them.

There is a time and place to train spiritual leaders.  But if we get ahead of God's timetable inpeople's lives, it may actually hinder natural development.  If we try to force growth in spiritual leaders before they are ready, it creates problems, such as a performance mentality, unhealthy dependency, and an inability to think and discern for oneself.

Those who appreciate the beauty and innate order of God's natural design for the church serve the church with the greatest wisdom.

What gives the church cohesion on such a model?  Its values and vision.  When the values and vision of the kingdom are clearly understood by those who father and mother a movement, and they are clearly articulated for all to understand, and imparted through discipling relationships, the DNA of the movement takes hold in people's hearts.

Our present forms of church government are perfectly suited to produce the resuls we are now seeing - that is the problem!  How we typically lead and organize churches is built on a model of maintenance and direction, not heared for spontaneous expansions.  We have learned how to control the church, but we struggle to learn how to allow the Holy Spirit to be in control.

Because we are Sunday-meeting focused, instead of everyday-movement focused, we immediately think about how disorderly our church meetings will become if there is no order.  But think bigger:  if our churches are growing spontaneously, our problems will change.  Our focus will not be about meetings alone, as important as they are, but how to disciple the leaders as they disciple new converts and equip leaders to lead and reproduce themselves.

Structure should never control life, only serve it.  Only involve people in structures who are secure with being out of sight and serving.  You don't use a water hose to build water pipes in a large block of houses, nor should you invite someone to be an elder who doesn't have water flowing through them to the lost, or has only a small flow of life.  Elders are people who "eld," who do the stuff of ministry outside the flock as well as inside.  If they have the values and live the vision, they are already bringing water to the thirsty.

That's a good chunk for today.  So many things to comment on!  Let's do paragraph #1 today.  Paul patiently waited to appoint leaders in the churches he started until they had time to grow and find their way. Sometimes he left them to develop on their own, encouraging them to build on the values, truths, and passions he imparted to them while he was with them. He trusted the Holy Spirit in them to guide them.  This is often a struggle for me.  Greg and I have had many conversations about many people on this very subject.  For those of you who know me, I'm more task-oriented.  I like efficient meetings, bullet lists, to-do lists, and read through the Bible in a year checks boxes.  Do it and move on.  Greg is very relational, which shows God's sense of humor in putting us together!  Often I will catch him saying something cute, like, reaching for a cracker, choosing the broken one, and saying, "I'll take the rejected one."  Show's his Pastor's heart too.  Many times he'll treat inanimate objects like they have feelings.  Cracks me up.  I digress . . . Back to the point. 

Often, I will see someone who might need correction in an area.  Nothing major, but maybe they don't quite have the Christian perspective on a particular action or belief.  I'll want Greg or I to talk to them about it.  I know if I was off base on something, I would want to be put on the right track.  I've had people do this to me along my walk and I have SO appreciated it.  It's kind of like there are two types of people:  those who tell you there is brocolli in your teeth, and those who let you walk around all night with it.  Which are your friends?  I'd rather have one friend than a whole room of non-confronters.

Greg, on the other hand, picks his battles carefully.  He will wait.   And for me, wait for what seems like months and months.  He chooses other things to talk to the person about.  He trusts the Holy Spirit to do much of the convicting of someone's heart.  He is a gentle shepherd.  Me, if given full reign?  I'm the pointy end of the rod.  Fortunately, we balance each other out quite well and I'm learning how and when to confront people, and when not to.

You might be curious as to the areas where I've been corrected by caring people in the past.  I've probably blogged on these before, so if I have, please forgive my forgetfulness. 

The first was a male, Christian co-worker I asked for advice one day.  My kids were little but entering the age of trick-or-treating.  My husband, whom I was legally separated from, was always very much against celebrating Halloween in any fashion, even giving out candy at our door.  I asked my co-worker who also had children, a little older than mine, what his family did that night and if he thought trick-or-treating was okay.  Though I don't know all the details, the gist of it was that trick-or-treating originated in Satanic rituals and pagan beliefs.  He reminded me of the verse, "If you're not for me, you're against me", and "Don't give the devil a foothold."  I was convinced, and my children have never trick-or-treated or asked to go.  We don't give out candy at our door.  We usually turn off the lights and watch tv.  In the early years, I posted a sign on my garage door that read "We do not participate in Halloween", which got the neighbors used to not knocking on my door.

The second instance I remember was my women's ministry director gently educating me on how to choose a qualified leader.  I was wanting to get out of leading my group for single moms and was seriously considering another single mom in the group.  This lady was energetic, her kids not too young to require a lot of need, fairly faithful in her attendance and great relationally.  She had gone through some ringers in her life and had a good pool of experience and compassion.  I felt it was a good match for her also because it would help grow her.  I hoped it would help her focus more on Jesus and less on her relationship with her boyfriend.  It was a healthy next step for her in ministry, from just serving in task ministries, and acutally shepherding someone. 

I received an email from my leader who clued me in to the qualifications of a leader of people.  They had to live a more exemplary life than this lady was leading.  She was having a sexual relationship with her boyfriend.  At the time, I knew that, but felt she could better relate to other ladies in the group who were in the same place.  I felt I often came across as too high and mighty as I was very sold out on purity.  I was gently corrected and am thankful for that to this day.

Another time I was told I should share more of myself with others, meaning opening up about my past.  I tend not to go there for two reasons:  1.  I don't think anyone cares.  2.  It's in the past and though it may contribute to who I am today, my past doesn't define me.  I prefer to live in the present and look forward.  I think now it is good to share, when needed to help build bridges relationally.  I always will answer questions about my past, I don't hide anything, but at the same time, my past doesn't monopolize my conversation.  I prefer to listen to others. 

So, that's where I'm at and what I think about letting the Holy Spirit lead others to repentence.  I try not to be too spontaneous or impetuous in fixing situations. 

No comments: