Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Calm Before the Storm

I haven't written in awhile for two reasons. 1. I've been loaded with stuff to do. 2. I haven't felt I had anything worthwhile to say. I'm here today because of encouragement I received yesterday to keep writing and also because my load has lightened. (I still feel I don't have anything worthwhile to say, but here goes!)

To catch you up a little, we haven't made much progress on the finishing touches of the remodel. Still need to paint, have an air gap installed, buy rugs and things for the walls, and a few furniture items. We thought we might get the entertainment center yesterday, but it was sold and the price we were given to order it was too high. The search continues.

The landscaping hasn't been touched much this month, though we had planned to do spend Saturday mornings in the backyard all of January. Between rain and other priorities, it looks like it will get pushed out a little.

We've got all the paperwork done for the new church except the 501c3 and Franchise Tax Board application to make us 'officially' tax-exempt. This has nothing to do with being a non-profit and receiving tax-deductible donations. A little page is to be filled out for the Secretary of State when we have our board meeting Saturday and choose board positions. We also have to fill out a form with the Department of Justice to do background checks on volunteers.

The Tuesday Bible study is going well. I love seeing everyone work so hard to have all their answers prepared and the great insight and sharing that takes place. I look forward to it.

We're putting together our leadership advance. We've booked a great place in Twain Harte and I can't wait to take everyone there. I've been there before with my Heart to Heart small group in the 90's. It will be a blast. Greg does a great job and covering a great amount of material in the time allotted for our leadership meetings and I'm sure the advance will be the same. We'll be full when we leave.

It's tax time. I've filed all the state and federal payroll tax papers for our business and am putting together info for our taxes, the business, and Mark and Kristen's returns. The good news is I'm organized and my files are pretty much done and my desk is fairly clean.

I've gotten going on QuickBooks for the business and the church. Yeah!

That covers my desk. Work is going well. I only had to work 1 day in the last 7 because of rain. With the nicer weather I'm back to 3 days a week, which my body needs. I've been pruning roses quite a bit and yesterday got stuck so badly it required first aid. I can't imagine what it would have been like without gloves!

I'm looking at other studies to do in the future. Last night I spent some time perusing the ChristianBook catalog and website and found a few books that interested me. When I get them in and read them I'll let you know what I think. They've already shipped and should be here this week.

Like I said, nothing worthwhile, but just an update for now. EQUIP church has 3 prayer requests if you could keep us in mind.

1. A building/place to meet on Sunday mornings on the westside
2. A Worship Leader
3. A Children's Director

Blessings on this sunny, cold Tuesday!

No comments: