Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July

I don't have a patriotic message for today. As a matter of fact, as I get older and my kids get older, the desire to celebrate the 4th in a traditional way wanes. I had a string of thoughts in the shower this morning as I thought about the 4th and what we might do today.

I thought about staying home and watching fireworks on TV tonight. Mark will be working a fireworks booth for the youth and Kristen is in Central America. I thought about watching the White House fireworks, then thought about the president and how much money the federal government spends on this spectacular. I thought how nice it would be if he made a stand and said, "In honor of those who are out of work, in poverty, etc., I have decided not to spend the $$$$$$$ on fireworks. Instead, I will give it to", this part of the budget, or this state that is struggling, or this charity, or even hold it in reserve. Some might think that is unpatriotic, but some could see the wisdom in not spending money on a tradition that is in the want category, rather than the need category. If our government is to lead us, they should be an example of responsible spending, don't you think? I heard that CSU Stanislaus won't be having fireworks this year because of the financial impact. Wise decision. I'm sure the students who pay tuition appreciate that.

What other areas could be cut by our government to better the American people that they govern? How about the huge amount of money spent on inaugurations? State dinners? The list goes on. I'm not a government spending expert, I don't even follow politics that closely. I just know that it bugs me when I see millions spent on a visual image when there are so many who are homeless and hungry in this country. It bugs me when I see people on government assistance who are perfectly able to work and aren't even spending 2 hours a day looking for a job.

My son recommended that we give a donation to Teen Challenge today and then go out to dinner, instead of spending money on fireworks. Probably not many people will be in restaurants tonight. Since he'll be out most of the afternoon and evening, we may just lay low. I hope you have a wonderful 4th, whatever you decide to do.

Blessings on this sunny Saturday.

No comments: