Sunday, July 12, 2009

Oh, What a Night!

Kristen's plane came into San Francisco last night at 11:00, so Greg and I went up to get her. We say on the way up that 238 northbound would be closed at 11:00 so we knew there would be a detour on the way home.

Sure enough, after the San Mateo bridge, we were detoured and had to go through a town (San Mateo? Hayward?) Anyway, we stopped at Burger King to get Kristen some food and were trying to find our way back to the freeway. That's when it happened.

We were at an intersection and Greg turned left. As he did I looked up from my hamburger and said, "Look out!" We were T-boned on my side. Fortunately Kristen was on the driver's side behind Greg. It was in slow motion. The car rocked forwards and backwards as I felt my door push me towards Greg. Then an incredible pain on the back side of my right arm, hot and stinging. Greg pulled over and made sure everyone was relatively okay, then went to talk with the 50 year old mall security guard in his little compact car, which was sitting in the intersection, smashed at the hood.

Looking around in shock, I saw the remnants of my 1/2 hamburger all over the dash, door, window, seat, floor, purse, jacket, you name it. I tried to get out, but my door wouldn't open. Kristen was shaken and when I said my arm hurt, she got upset that this man hurt her mom. (We restrained her verbally :-) )

The man was very nice, said he was glad we were God fearing people, and commented on Kristen coming back from the missions trip. He hoped he could get over the hill with his car, we hoped we could get home for our commissioning this morning. After he left, I crawled over Greg's seat and looked at the damage from the outside. It didn't look all that bad, actually. Black streak and pushed in bottom of two doors. I still don't know if the back passenger door will open. The back passenger window had a breeze all the way home, though.

I crawled back in and decided to sit in the back and console Kristen on the way home. That's when I noticed that my passenger side airbag in the seat had exploded, causing the still hot sting on my arm. That lasted about 1/2 hour, then I was fine.

We've had 5 hours sleep, and will soon get ready to be commissioned (prayed for and sent out) with our launch team up front at our originating church this morning. Kristen had been up 24 hours at the time we got home, so she will be even more exhausted that us. There are naps in our near future. We also have promised to pick up 4 people from our small group and bring them to church. Since we probably only have the driver's side doors that open, Greg will be dropping Kristen and I off first, then getting them. It will be interesting to see how they get in and out, only using one side and having to use the last 2 rows of seats.

Blessings on this momentous, cloudy Sunday.

No comments: