Sunday, November 9, 2008

An Example

This post is dedicated to my friend, J, who had a bone to pick with me for not blogging since Tuesday. Thanks for encouraging me to keep blogging!

As I was reading through Job this weekend, I read chapter 29 and was quite impressed with Job's character and the way he lived his life. I saw this as an example to follow. I don't think I'll ever measure up, but it's good to shoot for this. Check it out:

1.Job continued his discourse:

7...."When I went to the gate of the city and took my seat in the public square,
8.the young men saw me and stepped aside and the old men rose to their feet;
9.the chief men refrained from speaking and covered their mouths with their hands;
10.the voices of the nobles were hushed, and their tongues stuck to the roof of their mouths.
11.Whoever heard me spoke well of me, and those who saw me commended me,
12.because I rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist him.
13.The man who was dying blessed me; I made the widow's heart sing.
14.I put on righteousness as my clothing; justice was my robe and my turban.
15.I was eyes to the blind and feet to the lame.
16.I was a father to the needy; I took up the case of the stranger.
17.I broke the fangs of the wicked and snatched the victims from their teeth.
18."I thought, 'I will die in my own house, my days as numerous as the grains of sand.
19.My roots will reach to the water, and the dew will lie all night on my branches.
20.My glory will remain fresh in me, the bow ever new in my hand.'
21."Men listened to me expectantly, waiting in silence for my counsel.
22.After I had spoken, they spoke no more; my words fell gently on their ears.
23.They waited for me as for showers and drank in my words as the spring rain.
24.When I smiled at them, they scarcely believed it; the light of my face was precious to them.
25.I chose the way for them and sat as their chief; I dwelt as a king among his troops; I was like one who comforts mourners.

Before I read this, I thought of Job as a wealthy and righteous man who didn't deserve the difficulties he was facing. I felt sorry for him. But when I read the itemized list of things he did for the poor, handicapped, and needy, I had an all new respect for him. This is true not because of how he was treated by those around him, but because of his generosity and care for all people. He is an example, for sure.

One of the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey I've mentioned before is to begin with the end in mind. I've taken this class a couple of times and taught parts of it. The exercise I did with the class was to have everyone write their epitaph. They had to imagine they were at their funeral and people were getting up to eulogize them. I had them write what they expected them to say. Then I had them write what they wanted them to say. Hopefully they were the same thing. Usually they were not. Then we had to figure out how to close the gap. They had to write the step they would take to correct the course of their life regarding their behaviors, attitudes, and words. They also had to consider mending bridges.

If you want to end your life with a list of accomplishments like Job's, what do you need to do now to make sure that happens? Remember, it's not for the accolades of men, we do everything for the glory of God.

Blessings on this chilly Sunday night.

No comments: