Friday, November 28, 2008

A Quote

Greg and I were talking the other day about spiritual maturity and I said something he thought was good enough to quote, so I thought I would share it with you. "Transformation is never comfortable."

When a caterpillar becomes a butterfly, a metamorphosis occurs in the physical body that can't be comfortable, but it is so worth it.

Puberty and menopause aren't comfortable, but both offer something better than before.

I wasn't comfortable coming to Christ. I remember being anxious. Baptism was an anxious time as well. Being asked to give the Bible reading and prayer in front of the congregation was a time of nervousness, sweat, shaking, dry mouth, heart pounding, etc., but I grew through it. Teaching was the same. Praying with a group of people the first several times, and leading ministries all afforded at least once sense of discomfort.

If we truly desire God to transform us, we can expect it to be uncomfortable. The greatest service our churches can do for us is give us the opportunities we need to be stretched and grown, not to be made comfortable. The sincere will embrace it and move forward. Others will dig their heels in, giving in to a selfish desire stay an infant, and refuse to go grow. Where are you?

Blessings on this chilly, overcast Friday.

No comments: