Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Just Walk Across the Room

As promised, I'm sharing my highlights from this book by Bill Hybels. I thought I was a very good book with great advice on how to share our faith. Bill is full of passion for sharing the greatest gift he's ever received, as we all should be. There were mini sermons and times when I read through it faster than others, but I have enough highlights to share. I hope you are re-ignited to share your faith when you see how easy it really is.


[Jesus, paraphrased] "Be people who are willing to seize every opportunity I give you - not motivated by guilt or fear or obligation, but just with an eye on me, a pliable heart, and a passion for my people."

Knowing that the God of the universe has equipped you to bestow the greatest gift in this life on another human being, choose today to lead a life of impact - eternal impact.


But as far as I'm concerned, there is only one paradigm that will not wear thin with the passing of time. These days, I'm more convinced than ever that the absolute highest value in personal evangelism is staying attuned to and cooperative with the Holy Spirit.

If I'm serious about being transformed by God's Spirit, then I can't shy away from the discomfort and awkwardness and ambiguity that exist when I abandon my safe Circle of Comfort.


[Regarding the parable of the seed sower] Jesus went on to promise that despite where all the other seed fell, some seed fell on good earth and produced a harvest beyond the farmer's wildest dreams. We cannot forget the reality of this fourth soil, friends. Jesus pledges to us that some of the seed we sow will fall on good soil.


Leave what's comfortable for that which is eternally significant. Risk your life for this, and know that you will never regret your decision. He challenges us to do the same. "What does it profit a person," Jesus once said, "to gain the whole world but forfeit their soul?" (Mark 8:36)


In short, "You cannot give up! Be seed-sowing fools, if you want to think of it this way, because someday-during one of those times when you risked taking a walk across a room-that seed is going to fall on the right soil, take root, germinate, and sprout. And you will fall to your knees in disbelief, saying, 'Thank God I did not give up! Thank God I did not flee to my little insular Circle of Comfort and stay there in hiding. Thank God this seed fell on good soil."

Those were my highlights from the first two chapters. I know you're missing a lot, but think of them as teasers. Maybe you want to buy or borrow the book. Stay tuned for more highlights!

Blessings on this warm evening.

No comments: