Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Nuggets

Though I'm only 80 pages into this book by Erwin McManus, An Unstoppable Force, I wanted to give you some nuggets I've discovered on these pages.

One topic in the prequel is Spontaneous Reproduction. "Species do not have to be taught to reproduce. It is inherent in their nature. In much of the church, however, this characteristic seems to be missing. The church must be relased to do that which comes naturally."

"Mules are best know for being stubborn and sterile. In some ways they illustrate all too well what happens when man begins to play God. All to often we have to acknowledge such a description in our manmade churches. Churches that are born by God have the capacity for spontaneous reproduction that is a result of an internal force that drives a species. When the church is a vibrant organism, life is reproduced over and over again. Vibrant Christians reproduce new believers, vibrant small groups reproduce new communities of faith, and vibrant chruches become the catalysts for an apostolic movement."

Another topic is called the Nurturing Instinct. "Insufficient nurture can be seen when new converts too easily and too often fall away, and excessive nurture can be seen when those that we consider mature Christians have yet to embrace the mission of Christ in a personal way. The first one creates too big of a back door and the second one creates a logjam at the front door. An apostolic environment nurtures the full and dynamic expression of faith, love, and hope."

And the last topic for today, Life Cycle Harmony. "This is simply the realization and embracing of one's own birth, life, and death. It can be sobering to realize that a major portion of our lives is given to preparing the next generation for life. Each generation is connnected to the generation before it and the generation that follows. In the prime of our lives we begin the process of replacing ourselves.

When a healthy relationship exists within the life cycle, a selflessness of givng oneself away is created. The more one focuses on one's own living, the less one is concerned about giving life to others. The only way church buildings stay filled through generations is if the church lives and dies and is born again over and over."

What do you think? Do you want to read more?

1 comment:

Michele B said...

Sandy, I'm so glad you're sharing from this book. I really like the picture of "church" he presents. I got so excited about his vision after reading "The Barbarian Way" that I went to LA in 2006 for the purpose of attending one of their services. (Also of visiting my daughter. I took her with me to the service.) It was really awesome, but it also was inspiring to me because it was very similar to NLCC services, and in fact, in some ways I felt we do things even better.

I'm finally getting caught up on life after the holidays, and I look forward to reading more of your nuggets. It gives me stuff to chew on in prayer for our body, much as did "Love, Acceptance & Forgiveness." When I prayed from the perspective of that book, it came back into print and our church did a study on it. That was such a stunning answer to prayer, I'm still reeling from that one!