Friday, December 21, 2007

Our First Prayer Walk

Today Greg and I went on our first prayer walk together. We walked in the West Side of town. We decided to walk for an hour. On our walk, we saw a poster for an even at one of the parks that included food and a medical exam. On the flyer it said, "Come meet Jimmy Webb, a 49'ers football player." I felt honored I knew a 49er football player!!!!! Then we saw Tricia drive by. We felt at home.

I spent about half the time praying for those there, the other half listening to God. God used the sights of the West Side to speak to us. Here's what I got!
1. Potholes - Some people have potholes in their hearts. They've been so hurt they have huge holes that only I can fill.
2. Cracks - Some people have many fractures in their hearts. Left untreated they can become potholes.
3. Concrete slabs lifted by roots or unstable ground - Through no decisions of their own, some people experience huge upheavals in their lives. Divorce and abuse are examples. They're still basically together, functioning for their kids because they have to, but their foundation has been shaken. Often it requires the root be taken out, the underlying ground leveled and new layers of level dirt added to create a solid foundation (God). If the foundation is solid, not even the waters of life's stresses will shake the slab again.
4. Boarded up house - Though the house looks well kept and new on the outside, it is empty inside. Something happened to the heart so severe, the owner knew nothing else to do but board up the windows and lock the door. Keep knocking and don't give up. Eventually the owner will open the door a crack to see what you want. Fill the house with love. keep pouring and pouring and pouring. When the house if full of love the owner will be open to you. Since the boards were hammered on from the outside, they can't remove them from the inside. Ask them if they will come out and help you remove them together. They they will be able to see the world again.
5. Nice cars, rundown houses - These are a prideful people. They want to look successful in front of co-workers and others so they spend their money on nice cars, not on nice housing. If others saw their homes they wouldn't think of them the same way.
6. Look at the sky - Do you see how vast it is? My love is wider and farther than you can even see. Tell them I love them. Tell them I love them. Tell them I love them.

3 comments:

RWC said...

What an awsome and educational insight. I like your prayer walk idea! I am not commenting on you previous couple of blog posts but wanted to mention that they really stirred up some thoughts!!! Thanks!

Michele B said...

I'm so fascinated by how God wants to and CAN (when we let Him) use everyday sights and events to shower us with His insights and wisdom. The car thing is so true. I used to wonder how some people could afford such cars until the Lord told me what you observed... That's all they put their resources into. Sort of like cosmetic surgery. Makes the outside look good, but doesn't touch the inside!

Sandy Hazenberg said...

That's so true Michele! I'm going to hang those pictures from my prayer walk in my office this week. Stop by after your prayer meeting to check them out!