Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Two Kinds of Exercise


I had a wonderful time with my son last night. Greg had come home from Physical Therapy for his back tired and sore and didn't want to do our normal walk after dinner. Fortunately, I was able to recruit my son to walk with me without much trying! As we walked around the neighborhood we talked about Christmas, friends, and church. One thing I so enjoyed was that I was able to walk quickly and he kept up with me just fine. Greg prefers to walk slower, which was hard for me to grasp at first because he has such long legs. I got a good workout with Mark last night!

The other kind of exercise I got on my walk was intellectual. I'm reading a book by Erwin McManus called An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind. I just love this book. It really speaks to me about the way church is typically done and how it could be done so much more effectively. As Mark and I talked about church, we got into a debate (we both love to debate) about big churches vs. small churches. We talked about the pros and cons of each and it gave me an opportunity to really exercise my brain by speaking about what I had learned and what I believe. As we walked up to the door, Mark said, "Well, I hope we both learned something." I love that. He shares the same heart I do for learning from others through conversation, challenging each other's beliefs, proving our own beliefs, and coming away with an admiration and respect for the each other. What a blessing it is to learn from other people as well as from books. I welcome anyone to challenge my beliefs or knowledge. I think we all become stronger as a result of the exchanging of ideas.

Tomorrow I'll blog about what I've highlighted in the book. It's great, and at times, an intellectual challenge. Love it!

No comments: