Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spiritual Warfare #20

Set Your Focus on Christ and Receive the Victory by Charles Stanley
I remember a time when a group at church opposed me and did not want me to continue as pastor. The temptation that came to me was one of worry, fear, and insecurity. I instantly knew that if I listened to these voices, I would not be able to hear God's voice. Therefore, instead of giving in to thoughts of fear, I sought God in prayer, asking for His wisdom and encouragement.

He reminded me of the words in Isaiah 54:17, "No weapon that is formed against you will prosper; / And every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn."

The enemy has one goal for the child of God, and that is destruction through any means he can use. He will tempt us to feel insecure, hopeless, abandoned, forgotten, and misused. His words are always laced with discouragement and accusations. Don't fall for his schemes. If others speak badly about you, keep your heart set on Christ. Do your best and trust Him to be your rear guard (Isa. 52:12; 58:8).

There's a great lesson in today's information. I've lived through a similar situation. At first, it was laughable, then the enemy worked hard to create division, anger, pity, and a host of other negative emotions in my heart toward my accusers. Through a few careful words from a friend and a few other sources, I began to see the situation for what it was, and why it was happening. God spoke to my heart, revealing his purpose for my life, and it put everything into perspective. It wasn't just one thing that turned me around, it was several, and it took a few months to work out.

While in the corporate world we used a term 'looking at it from 20,000 feet up'. It is so helpful to try and remove yourself from the muck and mire of the current situation and try to look at it from God's perspective. A perspective of wholeness, not just your little piece that's affecting you. When you see God's plan in deliverance, you have freedom and peace, and the tools to handle similar situations when they come up.

No comments: