Sunday, October 14, 2007

Cracked Pots

Those of you who are familiar with Kay Arthur's writings are probably remembering the visions God has given her about cracked pots. I've never read Kay Arthur before, but I'm reading a book that referred to one of her visions and I'd like to share it with you.

In her teaching "God Uses Cracked Pots", Kay explains:

I had a vision in which there were two pots. One pot was beautiful and flawless. The Light of the Lord was in the pot. But suddenly a hand covered the mouth of the pot and the Lord asked, "Patsy, where do you see My light shining from." I said, "From nowhere." Then He showed her another pot - it was ugly and full of cracks, He put His light in it and His hand covered the opening. He asked, "Where do you see My light shining from now?" I replied, "I see it shining from the broken places."

Isn't that just like God? He uses the weak to lead the strong. He takes the difficulties in your life to speak to the hearts of those going through the same things, to encourage them and give them hope, and wisdom.

I've been the recipient of this principle. I was sitting at the pediatrician's office with my newborn daughter. There was a lady from our church there, about 10 years older than me. She had the perfect life I thought, three adorable kids and a good Christian husband. She asked how my family was and I told her my husband and I separated about six months ago. She proceeded to tell me how she and her husband separated early in their marriage too. It encouraged me that they were together and thriving. Though the same didn't work out for me, I felt privileged to be included in a private glimpse of their lives.

What are your cracks? Who can you share a private glimpse of your life with? Are you afraid to be transparent for fear of what people will think? Don't be. God has created you and allowed your experiences to happen to you. And through these experiences, God will use you to help others. Live authentically, transparently, openly, and honestly. Be the person God created you to be.

No comments: