Thursday, August 28, 2008

EQUIP Continued

I was asked this week how I was able to get over my fear of the westside and start going over there. It's true there are some scary things on that part of town. Drug houses, murders, be-headings, gang activity.

The Bible says to live with your wife with understanding. Greg has done a great job of understanding why I do things or react to things the way I do. One of the things he learned about me is that I'm a planner and not very flexible when it comes to changing plans. Once my head is going in one direction, unless I can see the purpose of changing plans, I tend to take a while to change lanes. As he started working with this family, and as he told me things about the westside, I didn't have a desire to start going over there right away. We both knew I would have to change that, meet the family, and be comfortable on that side of town. He didn't push me, he just waited. I prayed and after about 4-6 months, I told him I was ready to go over there to meet the family.

Things are never as bad as you think they're going to be. Once I was over that hump, I felt comfortable on that side of town. Am I watchful? You bet. But I don't let fear keep me from what God has called us to do.

This summer there was a murder on the same street where we have our prayer meetings. We were actually there less than a week after it happened. I've been told it is the roughest street over there. God arranged for the young man's funeral service to be held at our church where I work. I was actually the one who made the decision to have it there, under unusual circumstances. I was home on my day off and the woman in the office who coordinates funerals was working that day to catch up on some things. The family called the office and she answered the phone. She gave them my home number and said I would have to make the decision. (Three things that normally wouldn't have happened.) I decided to let them have it there, not even knowing this was the young man murdered from the westside. God certainly arranged that one.

That's how God and Greg got me used to the westside. One baby step at a time. Blessings on this hot Thursday.

No comments: