Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Update

Well, Greg got home around 7:00 last night and after dinner and a trip to buy a gas can and some school supplies, we didn't do one thing on the kitchen. Maybe tonight! Our contractor came over and we decided on the stain for the cabinets. He'll be coming over today to start on the wall to move the kitchen window and the plumber will be called. It's neat to see the building phase after the tear down phase.

As I've been reading some of the Old Testament lately, I'm really seeing one of the characters of God very plainly. Patience. All those kings who did all those sinful, idol worshipping things, and yet God continued to send prophets like Jeremiah to warn the people to turn from their evil ways and follow Him. Over and over and over again he sent warnings. We have a patient God but we should never put weight on that characteristic and be lazy about our walk. He can also be an angry God, full of wrath, in order to correct His children and have them turn back to Him.

I was also thinking, if we're made in the image of God, why aren't we more patient? I know that's not one of my stronger characteristics. I guess it's because we're in process. Some people are more patient than others, some people are more giving than others, some people are more faithful than others, disciplined, etc., but we're all in a process of getting better at all the good characteristics, and for that I'm thankful God is patient with me as I strive for the goal.

Patience is a virtue, it's a fruit of the spirit, and it's something to be worked at. One of the ways God strengthens me in this area is by giving me situations in my life where I have to practice patience. So far I've learned if I submit to the situation, it goes much smoother. You really have to die to it and get to the point that God is in control and it really doesn't matter what else is going on. The sooner you can relinquish your control of the situation, the sooner you learn the lesson and God moves you on to the next thing. I wish I could say this has been my favorite life lesson, but I truly can't. I guess I'm still working on it.

Blessings and patience this beautiful Tuesday.

No comments: