Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Let's Have an Argument

Last night Greg and I went into the backyard to talk about the landscaping that will hopefully take place in the fall. He's drawn it out for me, shown it to me 3-D in his landscaping program, but I still have trouble visualizing it. I think it's the dimensions and my spatially-challenged brain. I could be talking to someone in my office about a particular part of the church and pointing in the direction I'm sure that area is in, but because I have no windows in my office, I am way wrong about 99% of the time.

So Greg graciously agreed to put the dogs in the garage so we could have some peace as we discussed where he wanted the concrete and where I wanted the fencing. We had different ideas. Don't misunderstand, we never argue. We do have differences of opinions, but our voices never raise in anger. He's competitive, and I love to debate, so we thoroughly enjoy a good disagreement. As we both explained ourselves over and over, and the benefits of why we should each have our own way, in the middle of the conversation he said, "Let's have an argument."

Something changed in me instantly. I immediately thought of the neighbors. Could they be listening? We weren't yelling. We weren't angry, but it was a rapid-fire conversation. There were no insults, no name-calling. But it all of a sudden made me take it down a notch. Isn't it funny how one sentence can change your perspective?

The same is true with God's Word. Many times people have told me that as they were reading God's Word, one sentence changed their perspective, their heart, their attitude. "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12. This verse popped into my head a few days ago. I wish I could remember why, but hey, I'm over 40. I'm fortunate I remembered my conversation with Greg last night!

Blessings this beautiful Tuesday.

No comments: