Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Nuggets #16

An Unstoppable Force by Erwin McManus
We'll continue on with Chapter Eight: Soul Environments

Drenched-Community
But we have confused a personal faith with individual faith, sometimes at the expense of community. We see the community of Christ as optional, at best, and more often as an intrusion into our spiritual journey. Yet we are baptized into Christ and joined with his body. Every believer passes through the waters and becomes a part of the river of life. Alone, you are only standing in a puddle. Together, we become an oasis where those searching for genuine love and acceptance can come and drink deeply. Water is a great metaphor for community.

Liquid Grace
That's why biblical community is such an extraordinary gift. It's not about being perfect or loving people who are always easy to love; it's about loving people through the love of God. It's about being loved even when you blow it, being loved even when you do not deserve it, and being loved by others who know you all too well - even when you find it difficult to love yourself.
When you begin to love people through their imperfections, through the disappointments, you begin to know that it's more than infatuation.

Short and sweet today. Tomorrow's has a big section in it so I'll stop here for today. My favorite line is "Alone, you are only standing in a puddle." I don't know why, but it just strikes me. Kind of like if you're not growing, you're moving backward, because the world around you keeps moving forward.

I've had the absolute joy of not being loved when I've blown it, or been perceived as blowing it. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic, it was a hard day.) But God has reminded me today, as He does when I have days like this, that my battle is not against flesh and blood. Eph. 6:12. The enemy is working hard to discredit me, using all kinds of people. I also have to remember that God is allowing it for a purpose. Probably to strengthen me and keep my eyes focused on Him and His purpose for me. I know everything will turn out well, it's just this blasted interim time I have to be patient with. Uuuugggghhhhhh! Why is growing always painful? Enough whining. How was your day? :-)

2 comments:

Michele B said...

For me the big challenge is (1) to love people who don't love me when I blow it, (2) to do it because it's the right thing to do, rather than because I've made an idol of their opinion of me. Which is such a battle for me!

Michele B said...

Oh, and the snow leopard... a variation of the "roaring lion"? Beautiful (as an angel of light) but evil!