Thursday, January 3, 2008

Nuggets #9

An Unstoppable Force by Erwin McManus
Envisioning the Future
Fear of the future causes present blindness. The scripture warns us that without vision, the people will perish.

Chapter 4
E-motion
God's purpose has always been about redeeming a people.

Environmental Sponges
Negative environments raise negative and broken children. Healthy environments give children their best opportunity to become everything they were created to be.

Healthy environments move individuals toward health. Unhealthy environments accentuate brokenness and dysfunction.

Nurturing a Healthy Environment
The problem in many of our congregations is not that we've chosen a wrong strategy or have an irrelevant style but that we have an unhealthy culture. It should not be a surprise that if we were to enter many congregations, we could see how the uniqueness of the human spirit and the potential God has placed in each individual is being wasted.

In many churches compliance and conformity are the greatest values. There is rarely a rumor, much less a reality, of a church being the center point of imagination, invention, and innovation. If we are teaching sound theology but neglecting to create an environment in which people fulfill their God-given purpose, are we not, by definition, an unhealthy culture?

I am convinced that, beyond the eruption of human potential empowered by the Holy Spirit, a healthy culture also produces healthy people.

A person who is growing in spiritual maturity is developing emotional health. A person who is growing in spiritual maturity is healing broken relationships and building healthy ones. A person who is growing in spiritual maturity begins to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ and no longer allows the imaginations of the heart to run riot. A person who is growing in spiritual health begins to treat his or her body as the temple of the Lord and establish personal disciplines that result in overcoming such vices as gluttony. A person who is growing in spiritual health dreams great dreams with God.

A Culture of Greatness
It came as both a great joy and surprise when I discovered that a thinking Christian was not an oxymoron.

That's it for Chapter Four. That line about gluttony hit me between the eyes. Years ago God told me that chocolate had become an idol in my life. He pointed out that I was constantly thinking about it, when I would get my next taste of it. It had replaced God in my heart. Things changed, but lately, expecially from being given 5 1/2 pounds of Sees and Harry and David chocolates and truffles for Christmas, it seems I'm slipping into that rut again. I'm pretty good when it's not around. But when it is, it's like I have to eat it or I'll miss out. I used to be much more disciplined in this area. Please pray for me that I can be strong and make healthy choices in my diet and exercise again. I need to be stronger!!!!

Did any of that hit you between the eyes? I love a direct, confrontational writer. I think when we're too soft, transformation doesn't happen as well, if at all. I think when someone is broken and repentive, it's a time to be soft and gentle, less you crush their spirit. But if someone has no clue that they're sinning, I think we need to speak the truth in love, but that doesn't mean skirting the issue so they come away with, "Was I doing something wrong?" They come away convicted of the Holy Spirit that things need to change.

1 comment:

Michele B said...

It seems God has been showing me lots of things in my life lately that I've made idols out of. I'll be praying for you; please pray for me! For me it's also difficult with the holiday goodies, as I was taught as a child that "wasting" food was a VERY BIG SIN! And no, my folks weren't really overweight. But they went through the Depression.

I haven't had a chance to buy An Unstoppable Force yet. I did look quickly at Borders, but didn't find it. But the more you share from it, the more I like it!