Sunday, January 20, 2008

Nuggets #26

An Unstoppable Force by Erwin McManus

Engage

The church must be understood as a catalyst for change and every process related to the church must be interpreted through this filter.

Spiritual leadership in the change process is not so much about being the primary advocate of change but being the primary example of change. When the people of God see in their spiritual leaders a willingness to sacrifice for the sake of others and to be the first to change for the sake of the Gospel, they're more likely to make the changes that they need to make. The ultimate outcome of the change process is not the implementation of any one single change, no matter how significant. It is to move the people of God through a jouney that leads them from transition to transformation.

That's the end of the things that struck me in Chapter 9. Next will be Eiplogue, Chapter 10: a Radical Minimum Standard and that will conclude this book.

I've started reading Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. I won't go through that book like I have this one, as it is more of a descriptive journey of Donald's spiritual walk, including doubt and disbelief. I would call the book colorful, from the first chapter. It think it is probably written more for men, as he explains what he thinks and feels about women, dating, etc. It's an interesting book, it catapults me forward as I read. It's a good break from the Church leadership books I've enjoyed reading lately.

After I finish Blue Like Jazz, or even simultaneously, I'll probably start on Greg's Perspectives book. Perspectives is a 4-6 month class, 3 hours a week, 1 night a week, and it is awesome for giving someone a perspective on God's missional heart for his church. You really get to see the big picture of Christianity from God's perspective, how it all fits together for the world, rather than just my little church in my little town with my Christian friends that I know. You can check out Perspectives here. I hope you continue to join me on my quest for becoming a better Christian today than I was yesterday.

No comments: