Saturday, September 29, 2007

A New Book

Yesterday I started a new book. No, I haven't finished Just As I Am or Spiritual Leadership but they will be finished! I'm in a new season and am thirsty for other kinds of books. This one is called High Call High Privilege and it's written by Gail MacDonald. Gordon and Gail MacDonald are Pastors and writers. Mainly, they've pastored four churches and she's written numerous books. He's written some books as well. They're a very personable couple. Greg has actually met them. I ordered some booklets from them last year or earlier this year and she autographed each one.

This book is written to every woman in a place of ministry responsibility. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and am on their second pastorate. I'm loving all the stories she tells about their experiences. We have another thing in common. Their kids are named Mark and Kristy. Close, huh?

Anyway, some of the jewels I got yesterday were the quotes she opens each chapter with, and I wanted to share them with you.

How you can think so well of us,
And be the God you are,
Is darkness to my intellect,
But sunshine to my heart. Frederick Faber, 1874

Have your heart right with Christ, and He will visit you often, and so turn weekdays into Sundays, meals into sacraments, homes into temples and earth into heaven. Charles Spurgeon

Untended fires soon die and become just a pile of ashes. 80 year-old retired Pastor.

Men are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges. Anonymous

Am I prisoner of people's expectations or liberated by Divine promises? Henri Nouwen

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galations 1:10.

I can't wait to see all that this book holds for me. I can't recommend reading books enough. Sometimes they take you on an adventure, sometimes convict your heart, sometimes open your mind and lead you on to other adventures. They're always something you can learn and grow from. The brain is a muscle, use it or lose it.

No comments: