Sunday, September 2, 2007

An Ambitious Saturday

I got up yesterday with just a few things on my mind I needed to do. Housework and take the cat to the vet. The housework went fine, vacuuming, dusting, dishes, floors, bathroom. All done by lunch. The vet appointment wasn't until 2:50, so I had to decide what to do until then.

I decided on making a 4-batch of chocolate chip cookies. I hadn't made cookies in quite a while, so I started getting everything out and found out I needed 8 sticks of butter, and only had 2. I was also short on a few other things, so off to the store I went. As I got to adding the last bit of flour into the biggest bowl I had, my shoulder wouldn't let me continue stirring, and my left arm wasn't strong enough either. "Greg!" Muscular husbands are so wonderful. He saved the day and the cookies were being massed produced. Towards the end I decided to freeze the last bit of dough and clean up the kitchen. I have some time left, what shall I do?

Then it hit me. It was time for another dig. I grabbed my Bibles, my binder from the IBS (Inductive Bible Study) class, and my notebook. It took me about 10 minutes to get my bearings from where I had left off a few weeks ago. Ah yes, 1 Peter. I had done my observation marking for all 5 chapters at once. Now it was time to re familiarize myself with the scripture. I read the introduction in my Bible to get the context of where and why it was written. I read the text. A word stopped me. Deceitful. Hmmmm. The verse read 'For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech." Hmmmm. I went to my electronic Bible program to look up the word. Waiting for it to load, I looked at the clock and it was 2:30. Time to go!

I put the collar and leash on the cat (they like leashes on things at the vet, though my cat becomes a rock when she's scared and doesn't move an inch, even when threatened by a big dog). Sputters has been losing weight. She was 11 pounds about 6 months ago, then 10 lbs. in May, now 8 lbs. You can feel her spine when you pet her. She acts fine, except for the weekly projectile vomiting that we've tried to control with vet appointments and medicines, like kitty Pepto. They shaved a patch from the front of her neck and drew blood. She had been borderline diabetic so with the additional weight loss, I thought it better to retest her. She's still borderline diabetic. Her kidney test was perfect. Everything tested for said she was in fine shape. The vet even said she looked 6 years old, not 12.

She could have hyperthyroidism, and if treated at her age, could cause kidney failure. Most likely it's old age. Cats lose weight to a point, about 30%, which she's done, then stop. I'll weigh her again in about 3 weeks and if her weight is the same, we'll assume it's old age. If she's still losing, we can continue to test at about $70 per test, yikes! to find out what's wrong. I think what's wrong is that she vomits. But the vet said she would do that.

No comments: