Friday, August 31, 2007

Submission to Authority

If there has been a common thread throughout my week, it has been submission to authority. I've witnessed a variety of situations and seen the result of submitting and not submitting to authority.

In one instance a decision was made not to submit. Their spirit knew the right thing to do was to submit, but their flesh wanted to do it another way. A conflict resulted, causing turmoil in their soul. This kind of spiritual conflict is a clear indication that something is very wrong. As a result, God worked everything out for the good of the body and the person has been released from the turmoil.

In another occasion, the person initially resisted submission. During this time, they were in turmoil as well. This person was angry at the situation and lashed out at the very person who was trying to help them and had their best interest at heart in the long run. When they knew they had no choice, they submitted, and God carried them through the situation just fine.

On two other occasions, these people decided to submit right from the start. They were open, transparent, verbally willing to do whatever was needed and wanted by the authorities above them. Everything went smoothly from the start.

Whenever God shows me something multiple times, I take notice. I ask myself if this is for me, or a teaching opportunity for others I need to pass on. I haven't figured out which one this is yet. I'm kind of chewing on it as I write.

I know from experience the consequences from submitting to authority and not. In my first marriage, I liked to argue my point until I won. For me, it was an exercise, a debate, a war of the minds, almost a game. This behavior, rightly so, didn't sit well with my husband. It undermined him in the very role of leadership God had designed for marriage. As a result, this was one ingredient in the demise of the marriage.

In my second marriage, I've done a 180. I submit. I know my place. I know I'm a helpmate and a complement to my husband and I'm happy to be just that. It doesn't mean that I cower or don't share my opinion. It means that once my husband has considered my opinion and all the options, I support his decision. It creates harmony in the home. Our home is at peace because we operate as we should in our marriage relationship. Ephesians 5:22-24 "Wives, submit to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."

In regard to other areas of our lives, our work, our ministry, the government, etc., Romans 13:1-7 tells us "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."

So, who are the authorities that are over you? In a check of myself, I'm going to write each one down, and ask God to shine a bright light on any that I am not submitting to, so I can correct the situation.

No comments: