Friday, August 17, 2007

Discovering the Will of God Part II

As I continue watching the DVD by Andy Stanley, I'm intrigued at the insight that he is pouring out. Last night he talked about seeking wise counsel. Sometimes we have tunnel vision regarding how God will and should speak to us. We assume the position that he speaks primarily to our hearts or through a verse in the Bible. We're often discouraged when this doesn't happen, thinking that we haven't 'caught' it.

Andy said that the primary way that God speaks to him is through other people in the body of Christ that he has known to be wise and mature, in a place in their life where he wants to be. He has a small group and they are made up of parents of young children. Their studies primarily consist of raising Godly children and being good parents. At the end of their studies they invite a couple whose children are grown, who have done a great job with their kids. Straight A students who love and serve God and who are in college leading pure lives. They spend the next 2 hours just asking questions of this couple, seeking their wisdom.

He made the point that you don't have to call someone up you want advise from and say, "Now, I'm expecting God to speak through you to me on this matter, so I want you to know I'll be listening intently to what you have to say." It's rather in the casual conversations with wise and spiritually mature people that they just know when God has spoken to them.

I told Greg about this session when I came home last night. He confirmed that I experienced that myself when we were starting to see each other. (Today is our 3rd anniversary of our engagement!) I wasn't sure he was the one God had chosen for me and I had a casual conversation with his roommate on the phone while Greg was in Belize on a missions trip. I had alot of assets and Greg had practically none. I saw this as a sign that we didn't have the same financial planning goals. His roommate told me that God does that. He takes two individuals and brings them together to make one whole person. Where one lacks, they other provides, and vice versa. The light bulb went off. Together we won't be lacking anything. He brings things I didn't have, and I brought things he didn't have. We're both so much richer because of it. I turned a corner in our relationship that night and we were off and running, and we've been joyfully running ever since.

When have you had a conversation with someone and they answer you've been seeking God for showed up in their words? It's a very cool thing when it happens. Broaden your expectations of how God speaks to you. He is not limited to speaking to your heart or through the Bible. He speaks through people, circumstances, and all kinds of ways I'm sure I'm not even aware of. Look for God in the small things and the big things. He's everywhere!

No comments: