Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Burned!

Let's see if I can catch you up on all that has happened since Friday. Saturday we had a board meeting at our house, which went well. After that, Greg and I went to work for a few hours. At the second job site, I had finished edging and was putting the edger back in the truck. Because of some prunings, I was having to shove and maneuver the edger into the truck. My training as a mother taught me that when you need to put a bottom-heavy item somewhere in front of you, you grab it by the bottom and shove it forward. Not wearing gloves, I grabbed the edger by the hot metal piece at the bottom and let out a yelp! The edger was tossed a little into the air and landed on the tailgate while I tried to figure out what happened to my thumb. Not realizing I had lost the cap to the gas reservoir a ways back, gas also flew out of the edger, as it was full.

Trying to decide if I was mad at the edger, felt victimized by the great pain, or just needed first aid, I walked towards the building to find water. I didn't have a key on my to the building so I had to use the hose. The hose required pliers as there is no way to turn it on by hand. Back to the truck, couldn't find pliers, but then FINALLY found them, I walked back and had cold water run over my second degree burn. I admit I was crying quite a bit. Greg was nowhere to be found, mowing out of sight and earshot. After a few minutes I stopped, figuring I might be able to get back to work if I could bandage my thumb. I walked back to the truck where the fire on my thumb returned. I couldn't find the first aid kit either, grabbed the pliers again, crying all over again, and headed back to the faucet. Greg saw me and wondered, why is she crying about watering the trees? Then he looked at me and asked, "Are you hurt?" He jumped off the idling mower and ran to my rescue. He didn't know if he should hold me, help me, or laugh. He'd never seen my cry so hard before. He got more water on my thumb, which helped with the pain and the crying. He got the first aid kit but didn't really have anything to put on my thumb for the pain. I refused acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Each time we took the water off, the fire returned. Plan B. He asked if I could suck it up and continue working. I told him my pride wanted to keep working, but there wasn't a hair of obligation to work anywhere in my heart. I wanted to go home and put my thumb in a glass of cold water. He called Mark and he came with a baggie of cold water for the ride home. What a great son! I sat on the bed with my thumb in cold water for 2 1/2 hours until the pain subsided enough to take a nap. The burn area turned white immediately, a sign of second degree burns. I was able to work yesterday, with gloves, which I will always wear from now on.

So, yesterday we worked at Safeway. I got to mow most of the lawns, even the ones at the entrance. I got to edge and weed and shovel dirt too. It was a full day and Greg said he was so proud of how hard I worked. Last night we went to parent teacher conferences, which was very good.

On the home front, we have green in the new room and the red in the kitchen is done. The green is darker than I imagined. It's a pretty color, but not what I had in mind. The bathroom is almost done. We need the towel bar installed, the light fixture, and some touch up done, which I'll probably do today. My desk needs attention too, laundry, etc.

This Saturday we start tiling the big room. Next week I hope to get the dining room table and china hutch delivered. Lots to do. I need to make lists.

Blessings on this beautiful, cool, Tuesday!

No comments: