Friday, October 17, 2008

Scary!

What a crazy couple of days since my last post! Greg and I met with a guy who he wanted to do our tile floors Monday night. He struck me as someone with a drug history but seemed pretty okay that night. We agreed that I would meet him at Lowe's Wednesday at noon to pick out the mortar, grout, etc. He called and said he couldn't make it until 12:15. No problem. I got there at 12:10, waited in the front of the store until 12:20, then headed to the back in case he was in the tile section. At 12:25 I called him on his cell and he said he was on Monte Vista Ave. and would be there in a couple of minutes. At 12:50 he comes staggering in, slurring his words, is constantly in motion, mumbling, can't concentrate, it took him 20 minutes to pick out the mortar from about 4 choices! I told him he looked like he wasn't feeling too well, and was he under the influence of something? He said he lost 1/2 a tooth and couldn't keep his plate up. I thought, if you have plates, then a lost tooth shouldn't hurt a bit! He didn't say he took anything and didn't miss a beat or seem the least bit offended when I asked, as though he's been asked that before.

I started feeling really freaked out. I couldn't wait to get out of there! He was supposed to come over and start working on the floor, but I thought, I don't want him using a saw on my property! He'll cut off a finger or something then I'll have a lawsuit, yikes! We went out the store and he said he had to go to the temp agency to pick up a ticket then would be over in 20 minutes. As soon as got in my car I called Greg. No answer. I drove to where I thought he would be working but he wasn't there. Kristen was home. Finally I got Greg and told him this guy was on drugs. He called the temp agency and had them tell him we wouldn't be needing him. Whew! That was close. I've never felt so threatened in my life! He was nice, but he was totally out of it and not very lucid. Even the temp agency said they've been watching him lately. Greg said he sounded out of it on the phone message he left that day.

With our new board coming Saturday morning, I was in a pickle to get the bathroom done. I was already painting and needed a tile guy fast! Friends of our let us use their saw, then when the tile guy fell through, they let us contact their tile guy. What a godsend! This sweet, Christian Hispanic man and his wife came over at 6:30 yesterday morning to see the job and agreed to do it all today so we could use the bathroom tomorrow for the board meeting! Yeah! He doesn't speak English so I get to try and remember my Spanish and communicate with him. He's very patient with me! God surely protected us from making a horrible mistake on this one!

The painters are here doing their thing. They're even going to make my corners straight in the bathroom and touch up the kitchen too. A professional job. Yeah!

I worked with Greg 9 1/2 hours yesterday. He said he was glad he married a strong wife. My shoulder is a little sore from lugging around a full large trash can several times yesterday, but a good kind of sore. He said I'm ready for mowing our largest account on Monday. Yeah! It's a little scary thinking I'm going to be doing corporate lawns. I remember Gallo's beautiful grounds. I'll be very careful. Greg said it's the most challenging time to learn to mow, it's wet and the grass is high. That means there could be ruts left when turning and I have to know the height to mow. Luckily he helps me with that but says I have a good eye to know what to set it on. Since I'm not working with him today, I have to help him Saturday afternoon. Should be a pretty easy half day though.

Today, I'm trying to be productive. It's hard, as everything is covered in plastic and I can't get in the bathroom. I'm pretty much making lists and doing laundry and running errands.

Blessings on this gorgeous Friday, and thanks for reading my rambling!

No comments: