Friday, June 6, 2008

A Friday Giggle

Last Friday I was sitting at my daughter's drum lesson and as she rocked out, I read my Facing Your Giants book. In the midst of the thumping, I broke out in laughter. They looked at my like I was making fun of what they were doing, but I pointed to the book, apologized, and continued reading, when I broke out in laughter again. I hope you find this story just as funny.

The chapter is called Blind Intersections and it's about seeking God before making decisions.

"The Lord says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you." (Ps. 32:8)

Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths. (Prov. 3:6)

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." (Isa. 30:21)

My sheep recognize my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:27)

The God who guided David guides you. You simply need to consult your Maker. I wish I'd sought counsel before I made a recent decision. I awoke early one morning for a meeting. When searching for some breakfast, I spotted a plastic bag of cookies in the kitchen. Denalyn (his wife) and our daughter Sara had just attended a school bake sale, so I thought, 'What great luck! Breakfast cookies. Denalyn must have set them out for me.'

I ate one and found it very chewy, almost gummy. 'Interesting texture', I thought. 'reminds me of a pita bread.' I ate a second. The taste was a bit subtle for my preference, but when mixed with coffee, it made for an interesting option. I grabbed a third for the road. I would have grabbed the fourth, but only one remained, so I left it for Denalyn.

Later in the day she phoned. "Looks like someone has been in the bag."
"It was me," I admitted. "I've had better breakfast cookies,but those weren't bad."
"Those weren't breakfast cookies, Max."
"They weren't?"
"No."
"What were they?"
"Homemade dog biscuits."
"Oh..." That explained a lot. That explained the gummy texture and the tasteless taste. That also explained why all day each time I scratched my belly, my leg kicked. (Not to mention my sudden interest in fire hydrants.)"

I can so see that happening! We're off to Pollock Pines to see family this afternoon. Sadly, Mark is staying behind as he couldn't get tomorrow off. I'm hoping I can reschedule the texture guy to come this afternoon instead of Monday morning to do Kristen's room, which will give me Sunday to paint too. The furniture comes Wednesday! It will be so nice to have somewhere comfortable to sit in the living room! I'm reminded of a book Greg started re-reading by Gordon MacDonald called Ordering Your Private World. I feel I need that! Next Saturday we move the concrete. I'm sure I'll be whining about how sore I am that next week. Blessings this sunny Friday and have a wonderful weekend. I'll try and blog tomorrow morning, but no promises.

No comments: