Sunday, June 22, 2008

In Search Of . . .

Have you ever needed something and looked everywhere to find it? Maybe you finally found it, maybe you never did. Did you settle for something similar or continue to wait for the exact thing you wanted?

We're in that position now. We're looking for three things:

1. A dining room set
2. A beach clock for Kristen
3. Serving trays

All through my growing up, when I found something I really liked, often my mom would say, "Let's not get that now, let's come back for it later." Perhaps she didn't have the money right then. Understandable. My experience then was that when I went back for it, it was never there. That taught me to get it when I saw it if it was really important to me.

Through my single years, I learned to be extremely discerning when it came to prospective husbands. I waited 13 years. Possible suitors would breeze in front of me as friends, but I always knew they weren't 'the one' until Greg came along, and through much prayer and a vision, God revealed he was 'the one'. It certainly paid to wait, not jump at something that looked like a good substitute.

In looking for my wedding set, Greg and I went to 17 stores in two different towns before I found 'the one'.

When it was time to get my wedding dress, I looked and looked, and went with the one I really wanted. Not the one that was hundreds of dollars less that would have been a good choice, I went with the best choice. I have no regrets.

Now we are looking for a dining room set. We must have looked at 15 stores so far. I haven't found what I want yet. We are even toying with the idea of having it made. Part of me doesn't want to put someone through all the work it must take to make a large set that seats 8-10. I feel I'm being too picky. We found one set, very inexpensive, a good substitute, but it's not something I could pass down to my children as an heirloom. I think it would fall apart in 30-40 years easily. And so we wait and continue looking.

I've found some serving trays, but they're the wrong color, or the wrong material, or have the wrong bottom, or are too heavy. So I wait and keep looking.

Thinking about this today, my thoughts go to those who are not saved. They're looking for something too. They're looking for a full and satisfying life. They're looking for purpose, the reason why they were born at a time like this. They probably try different things to find that satisfaction. Relationships, drugs and/or alcohol, materialism, career, etc. These things bring short-term satisfaction, but will also eventually bring regrets. They realize that these things are not 'the one' real deal. Until they find it, they don't know exactly what they're looking for, just what isn't it.

Isn't it wonderful to know the Savior personally, 'the one' and only who satisfies with living water? If you found gas for $.99/gallon, wouldn't you run and tell everyone you knew, even those you didn't know? Why are we so hesitant to tell people of 'the one'? There's a reason it's called witnessing. A witness just tells what they know, what they saw, what they've experienced themselves. It's so simple. Share 'the one' with others, so they can experience the joy that you have. Blessings this sunny, warm Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think there is something very beautiful in "A Lady in Waiting"!