Friday, July 20, 2007

Attributes

After I wrote of my fears about having my shot the other day, a close friend emailed me and wrote "From one chicken to another . . . I will be praying for you." I can't tell you how unalone I felt when I read that. From one chicken to another. I don't mind having that attribute when there is someone to share it with me. Funny how a few simmple words can go such a long way in touching someone's heart.

Speaking of attributes, I decided last week to do a study on the attributes of God. Not that I know anything about doing a study like this, but I thought I would give it a try. I'm just going to start with Genesis and go verse by verse writing down all the attributes as I go along. My goal is to make it through Revelation. It might take a year or two, but I thought it would be a fun long study. As my list gets lengthy and hard to manage, as I start having trouble seeing if I'm repeating attributes, I'll transfer it to Word or Excel and do Edit, Finds to make sure I'm not duplicating myself. When I'm done, I'll alphabetize it. If you know of another way to study the attributes of God, other than purchasing a study guide, please let me know.

You might be thinking, boy, does that sound tedious and monotonous! I admit, God has crafted me to be a little cerebral. I love to read and study and dig and debate information. The process may get a little tedious, but I'm looking forward to when I finish, or maybe even during the process, as I look over the words and start to meditate on what God is like. I look forward to knowing Him better, to make correlations between his characteristics and mine, and to see where I need to improve. I am made in His image, but I have in no way "arrived".

No comments: