Friday, July 13, 2007

God's Faithfulness

Last night I bumped into a friend who commented on my blog on Haggai. I started thinking about that book and the times when I've put got first and how he's come through.

In 1994 I was a single mom with a 4 year old and a 7 year old and my little Nissan 200SX just wasn't big enough in the back seat, what with backpacks and all the stuff kids bring along. I started looking for a minivan. In fact, you could say I had minivan envy. Every minivan I passed caught my eye and my heart yearned for space on wheels. I knew I wanted a Dodge or Plymouth, preferably a Plymouth, because Consumer Reports said they were the most reliable. I had hoped for teal green, blue, or white, it that order, and preferably a Grand version because it was longer.

I found one in the paper, it was white, a Dodge Grand Caravan. It was in my price range and was a few years old. It had gray interior and rear air conditioning. Great! I prayed that if this was God's will, that everything would fall into place and I would get it. If not, that he would put up walls to keep me from getting it.

I did the typical things to check it out, I had my brother look at it first. He said the engine was so clean you could eat your lunch off it! Great. I met the guy at my credit union and found out it didn't have clear title. It belonged to a different couple. He was told to go to DMV and change the title to his name, then we could proceed. I went with him. As we were standing in line, I felt God tell me that I had done all the usual things to check out the vehicle, but that I hadn't had a mechanic check it out. So I mentioned to him that it was the last thing I needed to do before I could buy it and he agreed. After he changed the title, we went to my mechanic. The guy had me drop him off at a restaurant within walking distance so my mechanic and I could have some privacy in case there was any bad news.

The mechanic said, "You don't want to buy this vehicle." My heart sank. "Why not?" "It has had been in a major front end collision." He showed me the bolts that held the engine in place. They were a little stripped. He said factory bolts are put on with no stripping taking place, and that's how you know the engine had been replaced. A car with a new engine could cause it to be out of alignment, causing the tires to wear unevenly, and a host of other problems.

I picked the guy up and gave him the bad news, which he already knew. I encouraged him that someone would want to buy it. God saved me from buying that vehicle. After that experience, I didn't have the confidence to try again for a year. This time when I prayed about it, I released my own desires even more. God new my heart about color, make, model, features, etc. but I was willing to let all that go for God to give me the vehicle He wanted me to have. I wasn't taking any chances this time.

I found another vehicle, a Plymouth Grand Voyager, teal green, rear air, captains seating, and it was a 10 year anniversary edition LX, with cruise control, and a sun roof. They guy selling it was a Christian, who's kids attended TC like mine. He had title to it. The mechanic gave the green light and it went through easily. God not only gave me a good minivan, he gave me more than the desires of my heart. It was a great vehicle for the 10 years I had it until the transmission started to go out. Side note, as my husband and I were driving the van to Modesto to trade it in 2 years ago, the check engine light came on. In God's perfect timing, he provided our next car, again, giving me the desire of my heart.

I can't imagine purchasing something or making any other major decisions without submitting total control to God. He knows the desires of my heart, and He has always exceeded my expectations when I put Him first and seek His will, not mine. He's free to move in our lives when we open our hands and release control to Him.

Tomorrow, I'll tell you how He picked out my husband!

1 comment:

Sandy Hazenberg said...

A friend sent this in.

Hi Sandy,

This entry has spoken volumes to me in the season I find myself in!

I too have the desire for a "minivan", okay well it's not a minivan but we'll call it a minivan.

I've begun looking, and there are a couple of makes and models that are looking pretty darn good.

Your entry today reminded me to not only seek God's will, but to wait for it. I know I can trust the closed doors just as much as the open ones.

It is hard for me to comprehend the fact that God WANTS to fulfill the desires of my heart - WOW.

Your maturity has set a good example for me. I will try and remember not to settle for just any old lemon - however shiny it may look.