Thursday, July 5, 2007

Being Struck

One of my favorite questions to ask or be asked is, "What struck you about that passage/sermon/conversation" etc. This last Tuesday we (our Pastoral staff) watched a John Maxwell tape on Developing the Leader Within You. We were all asked, "What was your takeaway?" What struck us most about what we just heard? For me it was that if you're not growing, your standing still. Water that stands still becomes stagnant. I don't ever want my walk with God or my ministry to others to become stagnant. I love to grow, I love to read both the Bible and spiritual books. I love having conversations and debates about ministry and the Word of God. As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Pr 27:17. I love sharing my opinion and hearing others' opinions about anything!

I just finished watching Bill Hybels give a talk called Holy Discontent at the WillowCreek Leadership Summit. He talked about feeding our burning desire that breaks our hearts. He was followed by Rick Warren, who give a talk called Wholly Surrendered. I was particularly struck by one part of Rick's message, though the whole thing made me laugh and hurt at the same time. He started by talking about when we get to Heaven and God asks us two questions, "What did you do with my Son?" and "What did you do with what I gave you?", meaning our resources, like our time, money, etc. Rick referred to Exodus 4 when God tells him to throw down his staff. Rick said that the throwing down of his staff, since he was a shepherd, symbolized three things. 1. He was letting go of his identity. Sheperds used staffs, when you saw someone with one, you recognized them as a shepherd. God said, let it go. 2. He was letting go of his income. God was saying follow me in what I want you to do and you won't be a shepherd anymore. 3. He was letting go of his influence. A saff has a hook and a point. You either pull or poke the sheep to get them to follow you. God said, let it go. God was asking Moses, who had had a burning heart for the oppression of his people (remember he killed an Egyptian for beating one of the Hebrew slaves in chapter 2) to lay everything in his hands down (his staff sybolizing his identity, income, and influence) and follow God wholeheartedly. God took Moses' passion to bring about amazing reults.

Rick said the most dangerous prayer we can pray is "Use me." That made me remember an interview I saw on TV with Oprah. She was asked how she got started with her TV show. She said she prayed a simple prayer one night. "Use me." I knew then how powerful those two words were.

I know when Moses was willing to open his hands and let go of what he had, God did great things through him. I was challenged by both Moses and Oprah. Odd combination, I know. I had to ask myself two questions: Am I willing to open my hands and let go of whatever I have as well? and what's the burning passion that breaks my heart?

No comments: