Sunday, July 29, 2007

Gawking

I've wrestled whether to write this blog or not all day. It seems it wants to be written, so here goes.

For the past few days since our neighbor's house burned, I have seen many cars drive down our street, slow down as they searched for the house, then hit the brakes when they found it. They sit there for a good minute or so taking in the entirety of the damage. I've even seen some near accidents as a result of this rubber necking.

So my thought is this. Why don't people have more going on in their life than to search out and stare at the tragedy of a family that they don't even know? Where is the compassion, the respect for privacy, and the honor for a family of disaster? Thankfully the family has moved out temporarily until their house is restored so they don't have to witness these gawkers. Do they chase ambulances too? If this had happened to me, it would just add insult to injury. I've even entertained the thought of putting a sign up that read, "If you don't live on this street, take your shallow concern and leave." Or something to that effect. I'm not confrontational, but this bugs me.

That's my pet peeve for the day.

No comments: