Friday, February 8, 2008

Heaven

I'm becoming a regular reader of Perry Noble. Not quite a Perry Noble junkie yet, but somewhat a regular. Yesterday's post had a unique perspectie of heaven. See here. I especially liked his comeback for people who said they like your church but feel it's too big for them.

We've had several interesting conversations about what heaven will be like. I know the Bible says that God is preparing a room for us. I personally picture my own house, made of chocolate, with chocolate milk running from the kitchen sink, edible walls, a kitchen full of fudge (no nuts), chocolate cakes, ho-ho's, ding-dongs, and See's milk chocolate butter cremes, peanut crunches, and bordeaux chocolates. My bed is a cloud, my view is of the ocean, and I have horses, dogs, and cats. The dogs don't dig, slobber, or jump on me. The cats always want to be held and petted when I want to hold and pet them. The horses never throw me and care for themselves. And of course, Greg and the kids live there too.

Okay, that is a very selfish, worldly view of heaven, based on my own limited earthly view of what's available. I know it will be more than I could ever dream of. That in itself should be enough to convince people to choose heaven over hell any day.

A few weeks ago Greg and I were in Borders and were greeted by a man in his late 50s that Greg has had several meetings with. This poor man just can't get a handle on who God is. He reads parts of the Bible, but always focuses on God's discipline. "Why would God kill David's whole army, all those innocent men, just because he was angry with David? Why is there a hell if he is such a good God? Why do children die?" His list goes on and on. After another of these conversations which I was able to witness this time, I left feeling very sorry for him. We try with everything we have to answer his questions, but I think he's convinced himself that Christianity isn't worth it. He's a very sad, stubborn man. I wish he would see all the verses in the Bible of God's grace, love, redemption, second, third, forth chances, and forgiveness. Before I became a Christian, my then boss said, "You're a tough nut to crack." This guy is too. But the tougher they are the harder they fall. If this guy falls for God, it's going to be hard, a huge transformation. What a great testimony he will have. What a great perspective for him talking to others who feel the way he does.

Pray for him. He says he's terminal, though he looks the same he did two years ago. He needs Jesus.

No comments: