Sunday, February 3, 2008

Superbowl Sunday

75% of our family is grounded today. Odd for us, we're usually always at church on a Sunday. Greg is still in bed, unable to teach his First Steps class. Kristen is sick too, unable to drum for the youth group. I'm home caring for them both and will soon be off to buy a second humidifier. Mark is there and we anxiously await him returning to tell us about church.

We have a tradition in our family on Superbowl Sunday. I make a butt cake. It all started about 1998 when I was starting a small group for single moms called Heart to Heart. I was single too and the kids were 9 and 6. I invited my little group over to have a small superbowl party and had found a recipe in a magazine for a football cake. It was chocolate with chocolate icing, and white icing for the laces. It said to make 2 round cakes and when they were cool, stack them with icing between them. Easy enough. Then it said to cut about a 1-2" slice out of the middle. That made it shaped more like a football than a round cake. Then ice it and put the laces on it. I tried it. Apparently I was impatient and the cakes weren't cool enough. After I iced it, the two halves started slipping away from each other making this huge crack in the center. My daughter in her brilliance said, "Look mom, it's a butt cake!" It's been called a butt cake ever since. I don't even try to put the laces on it anymore. I don't try and wait for it to cool completely. After all, you can't mess up a butt cake!

I think everyone in our house is rooting for the Giants. I personally am rooting for the 49ers. Faithfulness is a virtue!

1 comment:

Michele B said...

I like your "butt cake" story. And another family tradition was born! I thought it was going to be a play on "bundt cake." Then I thought it was going to be that everyone said "but(t) it still tastes good!" I like how kids are so... spontaneous with their words.

You missed a real humdinger of a church service. It was awesome!!

Well, we're off to my sister's and bro-in-law's to watch the Superbowl. Hope (and pray) everyone's better soon!