Friday, February 22, 2008

Identity in Christ #3

Yesterday's reading was about Love. It was titled Beloved Child. It talked of the Characteristics of God's love and says that God chooses to love. He initiates love. He does not "react" to love; He loves first.

A question was asked, "Have you had an experience of loving another person unconditionally, even though that person may not have seemed "worthy" of love in the eyes of some people?"

This question made me pause. I thought about people in my life. I thought about someone who has tried to discredit me with some people and so far has succeeded. Do I love them? I wish them no harm. I'm nice to them when I see them, serving them with my best. Acting as if I don't even know what they've done. Is that love? I've forgiven them. I'm physically loving them with my actions and attitude, but does my heart love them, deep down inside? Hmmm. I think the hurt and betrayal are keeping my heart from feeling love for them. There are different kinds of love you know. Three in fact. But that's another blog.

Then I thought of another person. Similar situation, but this person stole from me and didn't even tell me until we were sitting in a group situation. They didn't even correct the situation and return the item, the person they gave it to did. For this, I felt victimized and not trusting of them. I do forgive them for this. I'm still nice to them, wish no ill will, but I don't seek opportunities to be around them. Do I love them? Physically yes, in my heart, not really.

Does God call us to love people with our actions, or with our heart, or both? Is it a sin to not feel love for some people who are unsafe for us? What if someone was raped? Are they called to love their rapist? We are called to love everyone. I know we don't have to like everyone. Where are you on this one?

No comments: