Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Remedial Christianity

I had a thought yesterday as I was getting in my car. The thought was about how I need to re-visit my identity in Christ when I thought I had this down. I've been a Christian for over 20 years and I thought who I was in Christ was a fundamental thing that I should have learned 20 years ago. Maybe I did. Maybe I forgot. Maybe I didn't have this down as well as I thought once I was tested in it.

I had this happen to me about three years ago with selfishness. At that time I remember saying, "you'd think I would have licked this 15 years ago." As a single mom for 13 years, I gave everything I had to everyone I knew. My kids got the most, then my church, then my employer, then the rest of my family. Never did I do anything just for me except maybe read my Bible, go to church and take classes, but even those things were eventually for the benefit of others. I thought I was very unselfish. Then I got married. Sharing my home was easy. Sharing my time was easy. The thing that got me was sharing my food. Not meals or anything, but when I was eating something small, like a cupcake, Greg would look at me like, "Aren't you going to share that with me?" My reaction was "Get your own, this is MINE!" I never had to share like that. My kids didn't ask for what I was eating. God had to deal with me on that and it took awhile.

I think it is wise of God to have us re-visit our fundamental basics in Christianity from time to time so we don't forget them. It's good to be tested. It's humbling to fail.

May God always correct me. 2Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

No comments: