Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Test of Readiness

Over the last week I've had a handful of people come in my office for various reasons. They have been of different ages and different places in their spiritual walks. Amost all of them have commented on the pictures I hung in my office about a month ago. You can see them here and here. I've had a lot of fun testing their readiness to hear and grasp the significance of those pictures.

They ask why I have pictures of concrete on my wall. I explain Greg and I went on a Prayer Walk on the west side and when I listened for God, he told me something different about the hearts of those on the west side for each of those pictures. Then I wait. I see if they'll bite the bait. They sometimes ask another question, like "Oh really, like what?" Then I start to explain a few of the pictures. Most people don't get this far. Only two have. Then I wait to see if they want to hear about the rest of the pictures. No one has bitten to hear the rest or continue on with a spiritual conversation. That surprises me. I find that spiritual conversations are the most joyful of all topics. I'd like to talk of nothing else most of the time.

Maybe it's a sensitivity issue. Maybe they're just not ready to hear stuff like that. I don't know. If you've been in my office and haven't asked about the pictures, don't sweat it, I know you've read my blog and know all about them!

I like setting the bait for folks to see if they take the bait to continue the conversation on to spiritual things. You can tell alot about a person's spiritual readiness that way. Do you bait the hook for folks? I think it's a good way to test leadership potential. Try it sometime!

No comments: