Sunday, February 24, 2008

Prayer Drive and Holy Discontent

Yesterday Greg and I went for a prayer drive partly because we've been trying to go for a prayer walk for a month, but due to us being sick and also because we didn't have much time and the weather was threatening and starting to rain, we drove. We went to a school on the west side and parked and prayed. I have to say I didn't hear anything from God like I did on the prayer walks, but it was good.

I've also been reading Holy Discontent by Bill Hybels and absolutely resonate with this book. I think I've said that before. Here's what I've loved recently about this book.

Bill talks about Moses and the frustration he felt at the mistreatment of his people.
"Because God couldn't stand the Israelistes' mistreatment either, he used what I call a "firestorm of frustration" that was brewing in Moses' soul to launch this unlikely leader into a prominent role that resulted in the nation of Israel eventually inhabiting the Promised Land.

I believe the motivating reason why millions of people choose to do good in the world around them is because there is something wrong in that world. In fact, there is something so wrong that they just can't stand it. Like Popeye, they too experience a firestorm-of-frustration mement when when they grow so completely incensed by the present state of affairs that they throw their hands up in the air and shout, "That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!"

The point is, the irresistible attraction to a specific cause that compelled these people to invest joyfully of their time, their money, and their energies always linked back to a single spark of frustration that fueled what is now a raging fire in their souls."

Have you ever felt frustrated by the things you see around you? By the attitudes of people or the way things are done sometimes? Is there a group of people you see are not being served by the local church? Do you see a need that if you had all the resources, you would gladly meet? How about trusting God to meet that need with the resources He'll provide? They question then becomes, are you frustrated enough to be willing to do something about it? To research the situation, to plan, to jump in and go for it? What is brewing in your soul, your purpose, that you can pray to God, the all-capable, to help you do? Think about that. What bugs you?

No comments: