Thursday, February 28, 2008

Holy Discontent #4

Chapter 4 by Bill Hybels:
Feeding the Frustration
The tendency for most of us when we encounter stuff that creates dis-ease and frustration in our souls is to push it away. And fast! We feel the discomfort of holy discontentedness coming on, and reflexively we want to medicate it.

But the truth is this: the best thing you can do is to move toward your area of holy discontent until you have clear direction from God as to what action you should take to resolve it.

Get close to your holy discontent because when you feed rather than flee it, God will birth new visions in you to become part of the solution. Stay near it so you can pick up fresh sights and fresh sounds that will stoke the firestorm of frustration in your soul.

If you want to be a force for good, then, like David, you've got to choose to take action in the area of passion God has placed inside your heart.

I've found this to be so true. I remember early on in my walk with God, having my ministry interview with Pastor Allen. One of the questions was "If you had all the resources, time, and no restrictions, and you knew you wouldn't fail, what would you attempt to do for God?" For my at that time, my holy discontent was feeding, clothing, and training poverty-stricken and homeless families so they could get back on their feet. I still have that passion today, to help those who need help. I'm blessed to have the opportunity to give food bags to those in need. That's a very small action, and I crave to do more.

What's you're area of holy discontent? What drives you crazy in the world?

No comments: