Friday, May 16, 2008

Dealing with Criticism

Last week I read Perry Noble's blog on the 5 Phases in Dealing with a Critic. I enjoyed his transparency. As I read it, I empathized with having to deal with people who come to you with criticism. I've never been in his position, nor do people come to me very often with criticism, but as I read it, I kept thinking of another phase that he didn't mention he ever went through. It ties into what we talked about yesterday.

"Do not stifle the Holy Spirit. Do not scoff at prophecies, but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good. Stay away from every kind of evil." (1 Thes. 5:19-22)

The phase I'm referring to is the consideration that a person might have actually been sent by God with a message to correct that person. It could just be an observation of a person that something is wrong. Maybe there is something that person doesn't realize they do, or a heart attitude that needs changing. The Bible says to test everything. Just because someone comes with a criticism, doesn't' mean it is correct. We are to weigh it, hold it up to scripture, pray about it, and see if it is correct or not. If it is correct, we have a responsibility to change our behavior or attitude for the better.

We should always have a desire to learn and improve. Rather that being defensive, seeking revenge, or ignoring criticism, consider it an opportunity to grow. It's just as important to be correct in how we receive criticism as it is to change if it is determined to be valid. Test everything. Have a beautiful Friday.

No comments: