Monday, May 26, 2008

Feelings Follow Actions

This phrase has been said to me a few times this week. The first time was at the doctor's office. He's got me on an exercise plan and when I whined about running not being my favorite form of exercise, he encouraged me to give it a good litmus test and get up to 2-3 miles and I might find I actually like doing it. When I ran 2 miles a year ago, I still didn't like it. I doubt if that has changed.

The second time was yesterday when my Pastor said it. He said it wasn't enough to just make a decision to change something in your life, you actually have to act on it. Then he referred to New Year's Resolutions. I turned to my husband and said, "That's me with diet and exercise." My sweet husband said, "Maybe, but you have great discipline when it comes to the really important decisions. Those things you change." Aaaawwwwweeeee.

So, yesterday I sat down at the computer and whipped out a document to help keep me accountable. It has the names of the days of the week going across, and Date, Exercise, Total Fruit/Veggies, and each meal and snack with Calories, Carbs, Fat, Sugar and Fiber. Those are the things I want to track. My doctor said I could email the document to him then meet with him in 2 months. So far this month, I've increased my exercise, but not every day. The pizza, root beer and apple pie has also thrown me this week, three things I rarely eat.

I'm off to a good start, grape nuts, non-fat milk and 2 small peaches for breakfast. The pizza and pie are gone, so I'm safe there. If I can stay away from the cookies in the drawer I'll be good. Why do I keep thinking of making brownies? I go through times of sugar addiction. It usually lasts a week or two, then I suck it up and swear it off for at least a month. Today is suck it up day. :-(

I covet your prayers for self-discipline. Does taking down wallpaper count as exercise? Or shopping? Maybe baking brownies? Just kidding. Have a blessed holiday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May Our Heavenly Father continue to give you grace to grow in discipline spiritually and physically.
"When discipline becomes glad surrender, 'Every day we experience something of the death of Jesus, so that we may also know the power of the life of Jesus in these bodies of ours'."
E.Elliot, "Glad Surrender"

Sandy Hazenberg said...

Thank you so much, and that is so true!