Tuesday, May 6, 2008

An Old Friend

I really don't know if I can classify him as a friend. What makes a friend? Frequency of visits? Length of time spent? Depth of intimacy of conversation? Trust level? Feelings of benevolence toward someone?

Greg and I went for our almost nightly walk last night but decided to walk to the park, which is a totally different direction and usually results in an 'incident'. I wrote months ago about the time we walked to the park and ended up with our names on a police report after witnessing a neighborhood display of anger with the throwing of a bicycle multiple times in the street. It was then that we met these folks. I honestly can't be sure of their names and I should have asked last night, but it was enough to see how warmly we were welcomed by this young man. His friend had just whizzed by us on a forked motorcycle/street bike concoction. No helmet, which caused me alarm considering how fast he went down the street. This young man, we'll call him Juan, saw us, recognized us from a couple of walks before, stretched out his tattooed arm, and with a sweet, sheepish grin, shook our hands with a "Hi, how are you guys doing? I just got out, 34 days." I saw his sister, Vanessa with their little sister slip into the house. I really want to know more of this guy's story. It seems like there is a deep pool there, even though he can't be more than 20 years old. Skinny as a rail and dressed in a white t-shirt down to his shins, I look forward to having a long conversation with him. He's a sweet spirit for sure.

I've always had trouble figuring out what makes someone a friend. If you had to invite people to your wedding, is the line of who gets invited and who doesn't the determining factor of who friends are and who they aren't? Is it the people who's names you know and say hi to when you see them? Or is a deeper commitment required? Funk & Wagnalls defines a friend as 1. One who is personally well known by oneself and for whom one has warm regard or affection; intimate. 2. One with whom one is on speaking terms; as associate or acquaintance. 3. One who belongs to the same nation, party, etc., as oneself; also, one with whom one is united in some purpose, cause, etc. 4. A patron or supporter.

Let's try to expand our circle of friends today. Who around you can you develop a warm regard and affection for?

Blessings to you, my friend, this Tuesday.

No comments: