Friday, May 30, 2008

Finding Your Voice

A friend of mine and I were talking recently about blogging and how I have tried blogging about different things, like personal stuff or spiritual stuff, or books that I liked. She used the term 'finding your voice'. That phrase has stuck with me for weeks and as I sat down to blog this morning, I had a few thoughts about how versatile phrase it is.

A voice is something that comes from within. It is the result of what is put into you, a conglomeration of experiences, thoughts, conversations, education, wisdom, etc. It is something you share. It's something natural and everyone needs an outlet to express themselves.

Regarding blogging, I think my voice prefers commenting on books and sharing remarkable insights I've read. I like to sprinkle in personal stuff for variety's sake or connecting with my readers on a personal levels sake, but I really feel I'm pouring my best when I share books and tie the theme to personal experiences.

In ministry, a voice is the result of what God has done in your life. It is the way you express grace, mercy, joy, compassion, wisdom, knowledge, and all the spiritual gifts God has given you. As you allow God to pour into you via prayer, reading the Bible, meeting with other believers, etc., you have built up a reservoir that must spill forth into the lives of others. How you share your voice will most likely change over time. For me, I had a season of pouring into single moms, then a season of teaching, then a season of leading leaders, now my season is blogging.

In the physical, my voice is health. Today I ran. My body's voice cried out, "No!" (just kidding). My legs felt like tree trunks but the louder voice said, "Keep going." I think for the first time I did better than my dog. "Yeah!"

It the mental, my voice encourages others to read more. The brain is a muscle, use it or lose it. I've been so encouraged, so challenged, so redeemed, so confirmed, so set straight that I crave spiritual books.

Where's your voice? Is it blogging? Is it discipling others? For all that is poured into you, where do you let it leak out? Who is benefiting from it? Are you hogging it, becoming a spiritual glutton? Or are you healthy, freely giving what you have freely received? Blessings this beautiful Friday!

No comments: