Monday, May 5, 2008

The Demolition Has Begun!

Greg worked hard Sunday to take down the stucco on the patio. A lot ended up inside the house, as my throat and tonsils are rebelling against the dust particles. Time for me to get a mask.

This morning I read Matthew 22 for my devotions. In verses 1-14, Jesus tells the parable of the wedding feast. A king prepared a great feast and people were invited but no one came. The king was angry and opened up the feast to anyone on the street. Many people refused to come, saying they were too busy, had other things to do. Some of the servants doing the inviting were hurt or killed. The king was furious and destroyed those who killed his servants. When the king entered the feast and saw the guests, he noticed one wasn't dressed appropriately. Back then if someone didn't have appropriate clothing, some were given to them to wear. The king had this man thrown out into the darkness.

When I've read this in the past, my 21st century American-cultured brain thought, why did he get thrown out for not wearing appropriate clothing? Was it a cultural thing back then? Aren't we supposed to love and accept everyone no matter how they're dressed? Then it occurred to me. This is a parable. So the parallel is that though everyone is invited into the kingdom of heaven, many reject the invitation. Then there are those who accept the invitation, but some choose to wear their own clothes rather than Christ's clothes. In other words, some choose to try and get to heaven under their own righteousness, rather than Chrst's.

I don't know about you, but I'm not a big fan of darkness. I'm wearing the fancy clothes!

Have a great Monday and a great week!

No comments: