Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sacrifice

Whew! What a day we had yesterday. Our church did a church-wide service to the community. Greg and I had been asked to be team leaders over 10 teams of volunteers. We were one of 10 team leaders. This had the potential of 1000 volunteers to hit our community with the love of Christ. We had about 600. It started with a sign-in at 7:00 and a rally at 7:30am with a few great worship songs, pictures, pep talk, and prayer. We hit the streets at 8:00, with us in our yellow/orange shirts.

Some teams finished at lunch-time and came back to the church for hot dogs and beans. Others kept working. One of our teams doing a remodel of a house on the west-side went until 5:45. Some teams cleaned up trash in the neighborhoods, visited the elderly, repaired fences, did yard clean-up on foreclosed homes, worked at group homes, havens, retirement centers, and motels. I beautiful warm day complemented our efforts. There is so much to say about yesterday. As I find pictures to link to, I will.

This was a good day for me to be a part of. I think I had a migraine the night before, so getting up at 5:00am with a head that felt drugged was a challenge. Nausea accompanied me whenever I ate anything. It was a very difficult day, traveling to 45 minutes away to help one of our teams with sprinkler repair, taking someone shopping in the afternoon, and doing church clean-up at the end of the day. But, it was worth it. I'm glad today is Mother's Day. I just want peace, quiet, and rest. Maybe reading and a nap. Maybe a walk. All my favorite things. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: