Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Potential

One of the things I've loved doing over the years is finding the potential in others. I used to teach a class created by Saddleback Church called Discovering Your Ministry. It took people through a self-discovery process. In 90 minutes and about an hour's homework time, people discovered their spiritual gifts, passions, skills, personality type, and catalogued their experiences. Then I had the privilege of meeting with them and walking them through finding out how all these things worked together to make them unique. God has a purpose for everyone, and helping them discover what that purpose was or at least where they would fit in ministry was a great joy.

But you don't need a class, or forms, or even an interview to find out your potential or someone else's (though it helps). All you really need is some time to reflect on these areas and ask God to reveal his purpose for you. In discovering someone else's, spend time with them. Ask them questions. Dig deep and it will come to the surface.

I remember going through this process myself the first time. I had the class and the interview. I was placed in the 3-4 year olds room. Unfortunately, this was a 3 month commitment that was extremely stressful for me. I wasn't created to baby-sit other people's children. It wasn't a good fit. I prayed and prayed about what God wanted me to do. I looked at all the areas God had poured into me. Then it came. Single Mom Brigade. Over and over these words came into my head as I traveled to and from work. God showed me how I had grown as a single mom and that I should pass that knowledge on to other single moms who were struggling. After a few months of God bugging me about this, I talked to one of our Pastors and he gave me the green light to start the ministry. He didn't like the word Brigade so I came up with Heart to Heart. Though I haven't led the ministry for four years, it is going strong. I still have a heart for single moms and can see how God allowed that experience and ministry to mold who I am today. He also made something good out of what the enemy intended for evil.

Do you see the potential in others? Look past the awkwardness, the mistakes, the immaturity, the selfishness, and the pride. These will go away or at least lessen with time as they grow spiritually. See what God has given them to work with and encourage them in that direction. Give them opportunities to serve and make mistakes. Yes, make mistakes. That's how we all learn. God is okay with mistakes, we're human after all. Use mistakes as learning opportunities. They're needed for the process. God bless you today and always.

No comments: