Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Giants and Ants

Catchy title, huh? Last night Greg and I went up to Modesto for a prayer meeting. Unfortunately, we were given the wrong date. With both kids out, we were given the gift of a date night. We went through several options, pool, bowling, movie, snack, jogging (he quickly backed out of that one), shopping (also not of interest to Greg last night), so we both decided visiting Borders would be a good idea. Greg nestled himself in the spiritual section picking up a book and sticking with it for an hour. I browsed there and all over the store. I picked up a book for each of the kids and sat down with Greg, looking for something by Beth Moore on the life of David. No such luck. The book Greg found had a lot to do with David. It was called Facing Your Giants by Max Lucado. I've never read Max Lucado, but Greg told me he was one of his favorite writers, narrowly beating Phillip Yancey. He found a few paragraphs that encouraged me, so I bought it. It is occupying a space on our mantle wit my other 'I can't wait to read this' books. He bought a book by Max also with three stories in one.

As we talked at Borders Greg made reference to my giants and asked me how I was feeling about them. I thought, then said, "Well, as I keep my eyes on God, they look like little, tiny ants right now." Isn't that the way it is. If we keep our eyes on the giants, they keep looking like giants. If we keep our eyes on God, they look like little, tiny ants. That must have been David's perspective as he went to slay Goliath. I don't plan to literally slay my giants, I'll leave that to God. I just have to do my part, doing the right thing, keeping my heart pure, and keeping my eyes on Him. Everything else is little. Blessings and joy this beautiful day.

Come what may Lord, there are lessons to be learned by each experience.

1 comment:

Joanne Reese said...

Great book, I've read it too. I always get all riled up with the thought of that Philistine defying the army of the living God.

Our fears do the same.

Joanne